Monday, August 3, 2009

Action always speaks louder than words



I arrived in Liverpool about 6 hours ago, after an hour's train ride from Manchester. The journey here was rather uneventful, lest the thrilling 6-7 rounds of bridge that we had whilst we slacked on the train. Our hotel here in liverpool is about a 5 minutes walk from Liverpool Central Rail. We arrived at about half past 5 and after the late check in, stoning around and quick toilet break, we didn't have much time to do much except to walk the already emptying streets of Liverpool. 

I must say that Liverpool certainly doesn't have the hustle and bustle of Manchester but it still is a really beautiful place to be in. 


Anyway, JJ headed out to Anfield to check out his beloved stadium (which I too won't be going to...) whilst Norms, Melvin and I headed back to the hotel, after a lovely walk round the city centre and the river side to chill out and get some drinks (PS: Beer is really cheap here... and I have been improving my drinking skills quite a bit...). I am now sitting at the lounge, with two bottles of beer (Leffe... belgium brand I think..) reading and blogging... quite the life I must say hahaha... 

This trip has given me the opportunity to see the world through my own eyes for what it is. I have seen the cities I once read about only off the internets and experienced cultures and environments I only experienced before through the words of others. One month isn't a long time to make such noble declarations, that I have to clarify, but it is enough to open my mind up to a whole new world around me. I have had the opportunity to rethink my direction in life and the path I intend to take in time to come. Though nothing is really definite yet, the path is certainly better lit now. Those little goals and trivial aspirations I once had not too long ago are now a thing of the past. There's so much more out there, outside the perimeters of our perfect little red dot and now that I know what I am up against... I am ready to take up the challenge and embark on that journey of a lifetime which I once thought I had started 2 years back. I missed out a lot by not opting for an overseas education but I am glad I realized that now and not in 3 years to come. Actions speak louder than words and I guess whatever I say now doesn't mean much lest I make them happen in the near future to come. 

Action and Words. An event at the recently concluded Roma 2009 Fina World Swimming Championships best encapsulates the metaphor. The showdown between Cavic and Phelps. It might come across as just another epic tale in the world of Swimming but I feel that there is so much more embedded in that experience than just another footnote in the chronicles of World Swimming Championships. I learnt from it the importance of discipline, determination, being focused and most importantly humility. 

Less talk, More Action. Less distraction, more focus. Less play, more work. Those are the values I am going to start inculcating in my life hence forth. 

No comments: